The Changing World of Lecithins” is a 6 page paper on the world supply changes and quality aspects of soy, sunflower and canola (rapeseed) lecithins. The article is edited by ILPS Executive Director Willem van Nieuwenhuyzen and published in AOCS magazine INFORM April 2014, Vol 24 (4), 254-259. If you want to learn more about lecithin, please register for the ILPS Lecithin Short Course.
The International Lecithin and Phospholipid Society (ILPS) was recently registered as a not-for-profit association in Cologne, Germany. Originally ILPS was incorporated in 1991 in the USA. The ILPS Board and Membership decided to transfer the Society registration to Europe, since most ILPS events are organized in Europe. ILPS consists of corporate and private members from Academia, Institutes and Industry in the Food, Cosmetic, Pharmaceutical and Technical sectors.
Since the number of books on Lecithin and Phospholipids is modest, following publications are still recommended
Title: PHOSPHOLIPID TECHNOLOGY AND APPLICATIONS
Editor: Frank D. Gunstone
Publisher: The Oily Press, an imprint of PJ Barnes & Associates, POBox 200, Bridgwater, TA7 0YZ, England. ISBN 978-0-9552512-2-1; 
Sales now: Woodhead Publishing Ltd, Cambridge, UK, www.woodheadpublishing.com
This 200 pages book is published as Volume 22 in the Oily Press Lipid Library. The Editor has selected with the support of lecithin expert Dr Michael Schneider 14 professionals for editing in total 8 chapters. The book has become an interesting combination of topics on sourcing, production and modification of the traditional soy lecithins, fundamental physical properties of phospholipids, technical emulsifying functions and biological functions of vegetable phospholipids and sphingolipids. AOCS – INFORM magazine, January 2009 edition published an extensive review. This book is a must for each student, technician and scientist, working with phospholipids or other surfactants in food, pharmaceutical and cosmetics applications. The book is also important for biochemists and biologists with interest for biomembranes and phospholipid functionality in plant, animal and human cells and bodies.
Title: CHOLINE, PHOSPHOLIPIDS, HEALTH AND DISEASE
Editor: Steven H. Zeisel, Bernard F. Szuhaj
Publisher: AOCS Press, USA, ISBN 0-935315-86-1 
The Book contains the papers, presented at the 7th ILPS Phospholipid Congress, Brussels, Belgium.
In adhering to our original objectives of incorporation, the Society initiates, organizes and sponsors various short courses, conferences and events. Particularly in N-America ILPS has initially joined forces with the American Oil Chemists Society (AOCS) Phospholipid Division to enhance our international recognition and to utilize the strengths of such an organization as the AOCS. In Europe ILPS organizes activities alone or jointly with other associations. Some of the activities previously accomplished were:
- Lecithin Short Course on Lecithin Functions in Technology and Nutrition, organized by AOCS and ILPS, April 27-28, 2013, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, prior to the AOCS Annual Meeting.
- 10th ILPS Phospholipid Congress “Phospholipids – Sources, Processing and Application” was held on 16-18 September 2011 in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. The congress started with a visit to Unilever Research Center Vlaardingen with presentations and pilot plant demonstrations, followed by 3 scientific sessions.
- 3rd ILPS Lecithin Short Course 2010 was held on June 11-12 at Ghent University, Belgium with oral presentations and visits to the Cocoa and Rheology Laboratories.
- ILPS Short Course:”Lecithins and Phospholipids in Emulsions” was held in cooperation with Ghent University on June 45-6, 2008 at Ghent University Belgium. Oral presentations and laboratory equipment demonstrations were given.
- A Lecithin Short Course on Lecithin Properties and Technological Functions was organized by AOCS and the Institute of Neutraceuticals and Functional Foods (INAF) of the Laval Université at Quebec City, Canada on May 11-12, 2007, prior to the AOCS Annual Meeting.
- ILPS jointly organized their 9th ILPS Congress on “Phospholipids for Health” with the 49th International Conference on Bioscience of Lipids and the Hungarian Academy of Science on September 8-10, 2006 in Pécs Hungary. Four sessions were devoted to Sphingolipids, Marine Phospholipids, Phosphatidylserine and Brain function of lipids.
- An ILPS Lecithin Short Course was conducted in cooperation with Ghent University on February 14-15, 2005 at Ghent University Belgium. Oral presentations and laboratory equipment demonstrations were given. The best poster award was given to Mrs. Annet Knoth of the Friederich Schiller University, Jena, Germany for her poster” Stability of phospholipids-containing water-in-oil emulsions”
- The 8th International ILPS Congress on Phospholipids was successfully held September 7-10, 2002 in Vienna, Austria in co-operation with the University of Vienna and the Austrian Medical Academy for Nutrition. PhD students presenting their poster were supported with a fee waiver.
- At the IFT (Institute of Food Technologists) Annual Meeting and Expo 2002 in Anaheim, CA the session “Enzymes in Foods 2020″ , in Dallas 2000 the session “Liposomes for food systems” and in Chicago 1998 the seminar “Phospholipids as Functional Food Ingredients” were organized and chaired. Many ILPS experts presented their topics.
- At the Food Ingredients Exhibition 1999 in Paris, an ILPS Lecithin seminar was organized in co-operation with the World Food Summit Conference Committee with 7
- The 7th ILPS international Congress on Phospholipids in Nutrition
and Cell Signaling was organized in September 1996 in Brussels
In 1994 a Lecithin Short Course was held in conjunction with the AOCS meeting in Atlanta, GA.
- In 1993 the 6th international Colloquium on Phospholipids was held in Hamburg, Germany supported by the membership of the ILPS.
- In 1992 the first Lecithin & Phospholipid Symposium was held in conjunction with the Annual AOCS Meeting in Toronto.
ILPS sponsors the AOCS Best Phospholipid Paper Award.
Winners of the AOCS Best Phospholipid Paper Award are:
Y.Pan, R.V. Tikekar, N. Nitin, University of California -Davis and Drewel University – Philadelphia, USA
“Effect of Antioxidant Properties of Lecithin Emulsifier on Oxidatitve Stability of Encapsulated Bioactive Compounds”
International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 450: 129-173 (2013)
G. Konrad, T. Kleinschmidt, C. Lorenz, Anholt University, Köthen, Germany
“Ultrafiltration of Whey Buttermilk to Obtain a Phospholipid Concentrate”
International Dairy Journal 30: 39-44 (2012)
Zeneng Wang, Elizabeth Klipfell, Brian J. Bennett, Robert Koeth,Bruce S. Levison, Brandon DuGar, Ariel E. Feldstein, Earl B. Britt, Xiaoming Fu, Yoon-Mi Chung, Yuping Wu, Phil Schauer,Jonathan D. Smith, Hooman Allayee, W.H. Wilson Tang, Joseph A. DiDonato, Aldons J. Lusis, Stanley L. Hazen
“Gut Flora Metabolism of Phosphatidylcholine Promotes Cardiovascular Disease.”
Nature 472:57-63 (2011)
K. Shimizu, T. Ida, H. Tsutsui, T. Asai, K. Otsubo, and N. Oku,
“Anti-Obesity Effect of Phosphatidylinositol on Diet-Induced Obesity in Mice,”
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 58:11218-1125 (2010).
Heikki Aro · Eila P. Järvenpää · Karoliina Könkö ·Mikko Sihvonen · Veli Hietaniemi · Rainer Huopalahti, MTT Agrifood Research, Finland
Isolation and purification of egg yolk phospholipids using liquid extraction and pilot-scale supercritical fluid techniques.
Eur Food Res Technol (2009) 228:857–863
2009 (yes no 2008 winner)
Bungo Shirouchi, Koji Nagao, Nao Inoue, T. Ohkubo, H. Hibino and Teruyoshi Yanagita of University of Saga, Saga, Japan
Effect of dietary omega 3 phosphatidylcholine on obesity-related disorders in obese Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima fatty rats.
Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 2007; 55(17): 7170-7176
Anders Vikbjerg, Jean-Yves Rusing, Gunnar Jonsson, Huiling Mu and Xuebing Xu, Danish Technical University DTU, Copenhagen-Lingby, Denmark
Comparative evaluation of the emulsifying properties of phosphatidylcholine after enzymatic acyl modification.
J. Agr. Food Chem., Vol 54, 3310-3316. (2006).
Paul van der Meeren, Mamdouh El-Bakry, Nico Neirynck, Pascal Nappe, Ghent University, Belgium
Influence of Hydrolysed Lecithin Addition on Protein Adsorption and Heat Stability of a Sterilised Coffee Cream Simulant,
International Dairy Journal, Vol 15, 1235-1243 (2005).
Pan L.G., Mabel Tomás, Anon, M.C of CIDCO, University de La Plata, Argentina
Oil-in-water emulsions formulated with sunflower lecithins: vesicle formation and stability, JAOCS, Vol 81 (3), 241-44 (2004)
Curtis A. Spilburg, Anne C. Goldberg, Janet B. McGill, William F. Stenson, Susan B. Racette, Joyce Bateman, Timothy B. McPherson, Richard Ostlund
Fat-free Foods supplemented with Soy Stanol-lecithin Powder Reduce Cholesterol Absorption and LDL Cholesterol,
J. American Dietetic Association Vol 103(5), 577-581 (2003)
Danviriyakul S, McClements D.J., Decker E c.s. , University of Massachusette – Amherst.
Physical Stability of Spray-Dried Milk Fat Emulsion as Affected by Emulsifiers and Processing Conditions,
J. Food Science, Vol 67 (6), 2183-2189 (2002)
Fabio Fava, Diana Di Gioia, University of Bologna, Italy
Soya Lecithin Effects on the Aerobic Biodegradation of Polychlorinated Biphenyls in an Artificially Contaminated Soil,
Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol 72 (2), 177-184 (2001)
Armin Wendel, Nattermann of Phospholipid GmbH, Cologne, Germany
Lecithin: the First 150 Years
AOCS – INFORM, Vol 11(8) 885-892, Vol 11(9) 992-997
MaryAnne Drake, Van-Den Truong and Christopher Daubert, Mississippi State University, Rheological and Sensory Properties of Redcued-Fat Processed Cheeses Containing Lecithin J. of Food Science, Vol. 64 (4) (1999)
Thomas A. Wilson, Carig M. Meservey and Robert J. NIcolosi, University of Massachusetts-Lowell,
Soy Lecithin reduces Plasma Lipoprotein Cholesterol and Early Atherogenensis in Hypercholesterolemic Monkeys and Hamsters: Beyound Linoleate,
J. of Atherogenenisis, Vol 140, 147-153, (1998)
Transfer of ILPS Registration as non-profit organization to Germany On February 1, 2013 the representatives of ILPS memberships received the Board request to participate as founding member with signing the application form for registration of the ILPS Society in Germany. With these supporting letters ILPS Secretary Bernd Diehl will initiate the registration. After settlement of this registration, the USA registration will be ceased.